Sunday, January 5, 2014

I Am a Hazer

I am a hazer.

I have something that somebody else wants, and I have the power to make them do anything in order to get it. I trick myself into thinking that what I’m doing serves some noble purpose for my chapter, but really it’s just about power and control. I lie to my parents about what really goes on in my chapter house. I degrade people. I dehumanize people. I haze because I can.  I treat people like animals and then expect them to be grateful to me at the end of it all because, really, I was just making them a better person.  I've convinced myself that the purpose of our new member program is about having a bonded and unified pledge class and not about building good members, because I have no idea what a good member is supposed to look like. I lie to my grandparents about what goes on in my chapter house. I lie to nationals about what goes on in my chapter house.  I lie to just about everyone about what goes on in my chapter house. I am a liar.

I have low self-esteem. I am always comparing myself to other people. Deep down, I know that I would be a nobody without my chapter – just another GDI looking for a place to fit in. I buy my friends. I care too much about what other people think about my chapter, which is another reason that I haze. We can’t let just anybody in. We have to weed out the losers. Losers will make us look bad. If we look bad, then I look bad. All I care about is my image. I’m narcissistic.

I was a loser in high school. I came to college where nobody knew me and somehow managed to fly under the radar during rush and pledge a decent chapter.  All of the people in my chapter are cooler than me, so I just act like them and hope that nobody notices.  When I was hazed as a pledge, I was ashamed of what I allowed others to do to me. The only reason I didn’t quit is because I wanted to show them how tough I was – that I wasn’t a loser.  Once I made it through, I knew that I couldn’t wait to dole out the hazing the next year.  Hazing pledges is probably the only thing I’m good at.  Besides, I had to go through a lot of crap in order to wear these letters – why shouldn’t these new pledges have to do the same?

I get a rush when I haze our pledges. It makes me feel powerful. It makes me feel like I matter – like I’m doing something good for my chapter. The feeling is better than any drug. I get bored in the spring semester because there aren’t any pledges around for me to yell at. I suffer from hazing withdrawal. When I graduate, I’ll come back to the house at homecoming and yell at the pledges, just for old time’s sake.  I’m unauthentic. I pretend to be something that I’m not, because that’s what I think people want me to be. I conform. I’m unethical. I’m a liar.

I am a hazer.


2 comments:

  1. Very insightful as to the psychology of hazing, Gentry. It's a wicked circle, and is what kept me out of a fraternity by choice. I grew up seeing in my grandmother's closet photos of my father and his frat bros dressed as women. And the single biggest element of aversion was the gigantic varnished paddle with the Greek letters carved into it so it would leave a Delta-shaped blister on your bottom. Then another big inspiration was the story of being stripped naked and relieved of your billfold, force-fed alcohol until you were delirious, blindfolded, driven somewhere 60 miles west of Tuscaloosa and dumped in the woods to find your way back to campus however you could. Yep, that's what I wanted to do!

    ReplyDelete

  2. I will always advice, that when you want to trade, you should seek the assistance of a well trained personnel. I've been trading with Richard Smith and it would be selfish of me, if i don't recommend them. With their well guarded signals and forever active(master class) strategies i have been able to make over 11,200usd weekly, he offers services to both experience and inexperience trader and also make recovery of lost funds So feel free reach out to him on email: richardsmith2488@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: +1 225-277-1646

    ReplyDelete